SD Mini FAQs
What is SD Mini?
SD Mini is a Bluetooth item finder. That means that you can attach the SD Mini to anything of value that you own and ring it in seconds with the SD Mini app on your phone. Also, if you now double press the SD Mini button your phone will also ring, even if your phone is switched to silent mode!
What features does SD Mini have?
If you already have set up your SD Mini you can use these features:
- Find your phone: When the SD Mini is connected to your phone, double-click the button on the Mini and your phone will ring, even if your phone is switched to silent mode.
- Find your SD Mini: When the SD Mini is connected to your phone, open the app and click the alert icon to make SD Mini beep and LED flash.
- Take selfies: The button on the SD Mini also doubles as a camera remote. Tap the camera icon then use the button on the SD Mini to take a photo or selfie
Getting started with SD Mini
- Download the SD Mini app from the App Store or Google Play or scan the QR code to download.
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Hold the SD Mini close to your phone.
- Hold the button until you hear a beep and the LED starts flashing.
- Your phone and SD Mini are now connected
How to use SD Mini
In order to unlock the full potential of your SD Mini, we recommend running Bluetooth 24/7. This way your SD Mini app can always save the last known location of your valuable. Meaning, that if you would lose your valuables and open the SD Mini app, you can easily find your SD Mini back with the app as it saved the location where you have last seen it. Simply go to that location, open the SD Mini app and wait for the SD Mini to reconnect. Now ring the SD Mini and you have found back your item!
What is the distance before the SD Mini disconnects?
The Bluetooth range is dependant on a number of factors. SD Mini uses Bluetooth 4 and has an outdoor range of approximately 50 meters (164 feet), this reduces to approximately 10-25 meters (32-82 feet) indoors due to interference from walls, other devices, large objects or even people.
Why won’t the SD Mini connect to the app?
Follow the setup instructions provided and make sure your SD Mini and phone are close to one another and that the battery is not dead. If you are still having problems, try the following:
- Switch Bluetooth OFF for 10 seconds (via your phone's settings) and switch ON again. This will reset Bluetooth. Try connecting again.
- Turn the power on your phone completely OFF and ON.
Try connecting again.
- Hold the SD Mini close to your phone.
- Press the button on the SD Mini until you hear a beep and the LED starts flashing.
Please keep in mind that this will only work with supported devices. iOS: iPhone 4S, iPhone 5/5S, iPhone 6/6S/6P, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone X and newer. Android: Samsung S3/S4/S5/S6/S7/S8, Samsung Note 3/4/5/6/7/8, Huawei P7/P8/P9/P10, VIVO, OPPO and others with Android 4.3 or newer and BLE 4.0 supported.
There was an interruption when the SD Mini was connecting to my phone
Try connecting the SD Mini again. Follow the setup instructions and make sure the SD Mini and the phone are close to one another.
How do I replace the battery?
- Use your fingernails or insert a smaller tool into the small gap on the side of the SD Mini and carefully open the device.
- Replace the battery with a new CR2025 type battery, placing the battery positive side up (text faced up).
- Close your SD Mini by aligning the top holes on both lids.
What happens if my SD Mini is faulty?
The SD Mini's control module might faulty. If it still doesn't work after replacing the battery contact us.
Does the app drain my phone battery?
The SD Mini uses Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) and uses minimal battery power, approximately between 1% and 3% under normal conditions. This is less than many other apps on your phone.
- iOS: Go to phones Settings > Battery and look up SD Mini on your app list. For a more accurate reading, we recommend selecting "Last 7 Days" tab and checking it a week after first using Safedome.
- Android: Go to Settings > apps and select the Safedome app.
What happens if I get a new phone?
Unlink your SD Mini from the old phone and relink it to your new one. To unlink go to the apps Settings.
How do I setup the card or key finder?
Setup is simple. Connect your card or key finder following the step-by-step instructions. Customize alerts and 'no alert' locations, depending on your needs.
How will I know when my item is missing?
If you have alerts on, a message will be sent to your phone. The app will show you the last known location on a map.
Can I locate my item by how close or far I am using Bluetooth signal?
Yes. Tap on card or key finder name in the app to see specific details. The top left right shows the signal strength.
Can I ring my card or key finder?
Yes. Tap on "Tap to ring" option on the map view in the App. The Classic card does not have a speaker.
Can the card speaker be louder when I ring my card?
To make the card thin, a special thin speaker is used. In noisy environments it may be harder to hear, however you can also look at the Bluetooth signal strength to see how close or far you are away from your item, while connected.
Can I ring my Classic Card?
No. The Classic card is too thin to fit a speaker inside it (it is one credit card thin). Locate your wallet using the Bluetooth signal stregth found in the top right of the card or key finder information screen.
Safedome is a Bluetooth tracker. What is the difference between a GPS tracker and a Bluetooth tracker?
Bluetooth trackers remember the last location, such as the last location you left your wallet or keys when you walked away with your phone. GPS trackers track continuously, however they are very bulky and use lots of battery.
Does Safedome work with the RFID blocker in my wallet?
No, the card uses Bluetooth radio signals, RFID blockers will block or significantly affect the Bluetooth radio signal from the card.
How far away before the card disconnects?
- SAFEDOME RECHARGE: The card and the phone use Bluetooth low energy to connect. The distance before the two disconnect (and receiving an alert) varies depending on the environment and other factors. Indoors it may be 30m (100 feet) due to walls, radio signals and other interferences. Outdoors it may be 80m (263 feet) or more..
- SAFEDOME KEY FINDER: The key finder and the phone use Bluetooth low energy to connect. The distance before the two disconnect (and receiving an alert) varies depending on the environment and other factors. Indoors it may be 30m (100 feet) due to walls, radio signals and other interferences. Outdoors it may be 80m (263 feet) or more. .
- SAFEDOME CLASSIC: The key finder and the phone use Bluetooth low energy to connect. The distance before the two disconnect (and receiving an alert) varies depending on the environment and other factors. Indoors it may be 20m (65 feet) due to walls, radio signals and other interferences. Outdoors it may be 50m (164 feet) or more. .
Can my Safedome card track other items, as well as my wallet?
Yes, you can place your Safedome card in anything you don't want to lose, such as in your laptop bag, suitcase, or tablet.
Is the card the same size as a credit card?
Yes, it is exactly the same length and width as a credit card. It will fit in a credit card slot.
Where are the setup instructions?
The app is designed to guide you step-by-step to set up, please follow the instructions inside the app or see FAQs. Customer Support can also provide additional help, if needed.
Is the key finder waterproof?
The key finder is water resistant and dust resistant.
How do I know which card I have?
The Classic card is exactly one credit card thick. The Safedome Recharge card is slightly thicker.
Can I connect one card to my two phones?
No, but you can link up to five cards and key finders to one phone.
Which model iPhones do you support?
We support the iPhone 5S through to iPhone X or better. Your phone must be running iOS 9 onwards. We strongly recommend the latest iOS. Early versions have had Bluetooth issues.
Which model Android phones do you support?
We support devices supporting Bluetooth LE running Lollipop 5, through to the Oreo 8 and above. Please upgrade to the latest Android for the best Bluetooth and Safedome experience.
How do I reinstall if I get a new phone?
In the item infromation screen, Delete your card or key finder from the old phone. Reinstall the app and relink your card or key finder to your new phone.
Will my card work when I travel?
Yes, Safedome works everywhere. The app needs Bluetooth turned on and an internet connection, such as WiFi or mobile data to show location on a map. Alerts still work without internet.
Can I safely take my card on a plane?
Yes, Safedome uses low energy Bluetooth, which most airlines allow when flying. If you are asked to turn off Bluetooth, go to the detailed view for your card or key finder and tap Turn Off. You may need to turn Bluetooth off on the phone as well. To turn the card back on, firmly press and hold the button.
Why do I sometimes get disconnections, even with my phone and the card next to each other?
Bluetooth can occasionally lose contact between your card and phone due to interference from other electronic devices or the envirnonment.
Why am I getting the wrong address or location of my missing item?
Safedome relies on GPS in your phone. Indoors GPS can sometimes be inaccurate until it locks on to satellites.
How do I rename my card or key finder?
Go to Item Information view of the and tap 'Edit Name and Icon' button.
How do I ring my phone if it is out of sight but nearby?
Press the button on the card or fob. If the phone is connected to your card it will ring, even if your phone is on silent.
Why am I getting false alerts?
Bluetooth can occasionally lose contact between your card and phone because of interference, causing a false alert. If you are getting many disconnections, try moving the card to a different position. You can also reset Bluetooth on your phone. Turn on the alert timer.
Why is there a timer before an alert?
The timer is a small 1 minute grace period to ensure you don’t receive too many false disconnect alerts as you walk away (perhaps to grab something nearby) and then come back in range. This can be turned off in Settings.
Why can't I hear my alerts?
Your phone may be set to silent or the volume turned down.
Why don't I get some of my alerts?
- If you have created a named location, such as Home or Work, alerts will be silent inside this location. .
- If you have unticked your named item, such as Keys or Wallet, found in the Alerts screen..
Can I change the sound of my alert?
Yes. Please go to Alert Sounds in the Setttings section, in the app.
How long does the battery last?
Depending on usage, the battery will last for three to four months between charges. Slide the item information panel up to see the battery level. When the battery is low, place the card on any compatible Qi wireless charger.
How long does it take to fully charge my card?
Charging takes approximately 20 to 40 minutes, depending on your current battery level.
Does the app drain my phone battery?
The card uses Bluetooth Low Energy. Typically it only uses between 1% and 3% of the battery.
How long does the battery last?
The battery will last one year or more, depending on usage. The item informatiom screen shows you the current battery level.
Does the Key Finder come with a battery?
Yes, the Key Finder has the battery inside and ready to use. It typically lasts up to one year, depending on usage.
How do I replace the battery in the key finder?
Replacing the battery is easy, unscrew the strap with a small screwdriver then replace the CR2025 coin cell battery, available at many supermarkets or drug stores.
How do I know if my card is charging?
Place the card on the outline shape printed on the charger. The blue light on the card will come on until it is fully charged. If the card is completely discharged, you may need to leave it on for a few minutes until the blue light comes on.
My charger is a different size to the one shown above?
If your charger is larger and shows a positional guide for placing the card on the charger when charging, then you have our 2nd generation of the wireless charger.
Does the charger work to charge other items?
Our charger is compatible with the latest release of the Qi wireless standard (1.2.3). This is a globally recognised standard for wireless charging and means you can charge anything compatible with the standard such as phones, watches and headphones.
Can I use a different charger?
Yes. As long as the Charger is Qi compatible with the same version of the standard (Qi 1.2.3) you can charge your Safedome Recharge card on that charger.
Can I recharge the Classic card?
No. Safedome Classic is the world’s thinnest card at just 0.76 mm thin, so there is not enough space inside to fit a recharge coil. Our other card, Safedome Recharge, is slightly thicker which can accommodate the recharge coil.
How do I replace the battery?
For both Safedome Classic and Recharge, the battery is sealed inside the dust and water-resistant card.
- SAFEDOME RECHARGE: The battery is rechargeable and will last four years or more. Once expired, please dispose properly..
- SAFEDOME CLASSIC: The battery lasts one year or more and doesn’t need to be recharged or changed. Once expired, please dispose properly..
Why won’t the card connect to the app?
Follow the card setup instructions. Make sure the card and the phone are close to one another then:
- Switch Bluetooth OFF for 10 seconds (via your phone's settings) and switch ON again. Try connecting again..
- Switch off your phone, then switch it back on. Try connecting again.
- Firmly press the button on the card. If the LED light is working, try connecting again. If there is no LED light, make sure your Safedome Recharge card is charged.
My card or key finder won't reconnect?
If you are having trouble reconnecting to the App, firmly press and hold the button down for seven seconds then check if it has reconnected.
I can't update my firmware?
Certain iPhones experience difficulties when updating the Firmware on the card or key finder. Unlink the tracker from the item information screen and conect again. Try updating the Firmware again.
What happens if my card or key finder is faulty?
Don't worry. Contact Customer Support and we will help you out.
If you have any other questions about Safedome please email us at email@example.com